Dr. Sheela Nampoothiri, is currently a Clinical Professor & Head of Department at Pediatric Genetics at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre.
She is an MBBS with First class from Trivandrum Medical College, 1989. She has done her DCH from Institute of child Health, Chennai, 1991. After which she completed Dip NB in Pediatrics in 1993 from Trivandrum Medical College. Post which she has done her MSc in Medical Genetics from Duncan Guthrie Institute of Medical Genetics, Yorkhill Hospitals, University of Glasgow with first class, 2005.
She has an interest in Lysososmal storage disorders, specifically Fabry disease & Skeletal dysplasias.
- Scientific Advisory Committee member of the Comprehensive Care Centre for Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical sciences and Technology, Trivandrum from 2017
- Task Force member on Human Genetics and Genome Analysis programme for Department of Biotechnology, Government of India from 2017-2020
- Has 132 National and International publications in credit, 89 publications are in international journals
- Reviewer of four International journals & three National journals
- British Medical Journal
- American journal of Medical Genetics
- Pediatrics International
- Journal of Pediatric Neurology
- Indian Journal of Pediatrics
- Indian Pediatrics
- ‘Awardee of ‘Common Wealth Fellowship by United Kingdom’ in 2004
- ‘Erasmus Mundus Fellowship’ to Ghent University on 2013
- ‘Dr. Eapen Samuel Memorial Award’ for Best research paper in 2014 by IMA- AMS, Kerala Chapter
- ‘M .O John Memorial Award’ for the Best publication in a peer reviewed journal, for research article published on Skeletal dysplasia in American Journal of Medical Genetics by IAP, Kerala in 2014
- ‘Dr. D.S. Munagekar Award’ for the year 2013-2014 by Indian Medical Association (National Award) presented at IMA – NATCON-2014
- First prize for the Final round of National 6th Pediatric Quiz for Practicing Pediatricians during Pedicon 2003 at Mumbai
- Dr. Bhaskara Varma Award’ by IAP , Kerala for Best paper presentation during Pedicon – South 1999